Sunday, May 27, 2007

It's On The List!

I landed in Adelaide yesterday and checked into my serviced apartment. 'Pacific International'!! Ba Ba Buuuum! Don't you love the hyperbolic names of these places?

I was a little rusty as we'd had the 1vs100/Deal Or No Deal wrap party the night before, where I ended up bailing Andrew O'Keefe against a concrete wall with mojito clinking loosely in my grip: 'Sh'uknow, Anjrew, I really shink (hic) you are one of ONE OF the besht (cough) presjenters...on tally...'

A smooth exit.

The apartment is nice, precicely how you would imagine it. Random inoffensive prints and crisp bed linen and wrapped soap.



Note Subway remnants on the table, stage left... Graprfruit diet to begin first thing tomorrow.

Last night I put all my eggs in one basket and went out with my two SA links, Amy and Jason. We ended up in this flash bar on Gouger Street (the Brunswick St of the South). It was all mood lighting and snakeskin pointy shoes and revelrous clinking of glasses.

Along for the ride were a preview of hardcore ABC journalists and a slough of toothy young labour representatives. We ended up at another venue called Lotusbar, and teetering on the dancefloor was a prominant local politician fishing for fresh prey. 'Take a photo on your phone,' Jason urged under his breath. 'What a scoop to walk into your first day at the 'Tiser with that piece of snapperazi gold!'

I thought about it, but my cameraphone has a clunky flash and takes murky night time shots. And Im not alltogether down with catching unsupecting RM-Williams clad pollies in dubius Saturday Night circumstances. How will this bode for my future career choice? I snapped one of Jason instead, suckling on Adelaide's finest export:



Slightly mad look in his eye, but it was great to see him.

I went to look at a potential room today. It was in the city, prime location, in the bleakest grid of institutional townhousing this side of Guantanamo. A kooky Columbian chick gave me the grand tour... sparce furnishings, bare walls, and the going room had NO WINDOWS! Who builds a room with no windows? This coupled with the musty international-student smell and I couldnt get out of there fast enough. Next!!

I wandered back down King William St towards the hotel, quiet gray Sunday strollers smattered around, clouds low in the sky.



Forest? Where? I slipped into Subway, chicken footlong with extra jalepinos and loaded up on the Sunday papers. Almost home, I spotted my first church, in this, the city of churches. St Pauls!! Love the font work!! Rock n' Roll!! The first of many, Im guessing.

No comments: